Dec 14, 2016

How to manage negative splits

This is the 1st of the intended 3 posts on Goa River Marathon (GRM). I honour the events I participate in with a post each. GRM deserves an additional post as it offers complimentary post-run beer. My sister also being a participant here, I got two beers & I have thus decided to write 3 posts on GRM 2016. (hint to GRM – offer me unlimited post-run booze next time & I will write a book.) But I am digressing from the subject, so here I go…

We (a group of 7 runners, incl. me) went for GRM by road as this would give us plenty of time to spend together. One of the two debutants, I think it was Harjeet, was pestering Coach Reni with a lot of queries on technical jargon. When it came to Negative Splits, I casually informed the gang that I do this every time. The company, all 6 of them, was in shock! Now, I am not the fastest of runners. Nor a focused one at that. To me, running a half marathon includes everything else including running. And a time of close to 3 hours is what I aim for. Yet, I have invariably managed to achieve negative splits each time I have run 21K. Your turn to be shocked? No, for I present the evidence from the GRM.

Here’s what Timing Technologies website (http://www.timingindia.com/result.html) says about how I progressed through the distance (you have my bib no. & can verify the same):

Number
22250
Name
Ashish Diimri
Gender
Male
Category
Open (Age group 35-45) MEN
Rank
1086 / 1284 Finishers
Category Rank
360 / 417 Finishers
Gender Rank
940 / 1084 Finishers
Split@5 Km
00:48:47 Avg. Pace 09:46, Avg. Speed 6.15 Kmph
Gender Rank : 1061 / 1084 Finishers , Category Rank : 408 / 417 Finishers
01:33:53 Avg. Pace 08:56, Avg. Speed 6.71 Kmph
Gender Rank : 1044 / 1084 Finishers , Category Rank : 400 / 417 Finishers
02:16:31 Avg. Pace 08:29, Avg. Speed 7.08 Kmph
Gender Rank : 996 / 1084 Finishers , Category Rank : 378 / 417 Finishers
Net Time
02:59:35 Average Pace 08:31, Average Speed 7.05 kmph


As you can see, I shaved off 50 seconds in the 2nd quarter & another 27 seconds in the 3rd quarter. The 4th quarter of the run was slightly slower (by 2 seconds). Which means, as I crossed the finishing line, my pace was a good 75 seconds (or 1:15 minutes) faster than when I began. You will have to trust these numbers as these are provided by the official timekeeper. I myself do not usually track my runs & do not have data to corroborate the official results. If you study the analytics closely, you will see even my gender/category ranks improve with each split. This is something I always find – people overtaking me initially while I do the overtaking in the later part (unless it’s a full marathoner overlapping me).

But I can explain why this happens. Usually, most of the events (Vadodara International Marathon being a notable exception here) have runners running along for 10.5 kms & returning the same way for the half marathon. The FM participants do 2 loops of this route.

Now, when I am running, you will find me admiring the route (& clicking pictures on my phone), reading the hoarding & race posters (& clicking pictures on my phone), trying to play some musical instrument (& having my picture clicked on my phone) & chatting up with fellow runners (& if they consent, clicking their picture on my phone). This takes up a lot of time. I usually manage to get some 40-50 pictures on each race (assuming 10 secs per picture, this adds around 8 minutes to the time). This slows me down (as you can see in my timings), but gets me a lot of stuff for the blogpost to follow. It’s a tradeoff where I have never been a loser as the organisers give a medal & post-run breakfast to each finisher.

Coming back to the topic, when I do the return leg of the route I have already seen the sights in the 1st half & have less distractions resulting in fewer halts (this time only for hydration & fuelling). One also comes across other friends who are already returning from the half way mark, (at GRM, apart from Durgesh Merchant, Dr. Suresh Nayak & Sameer Gaikwad, even the little sis who was doing her maiden HM crossed me) which does egg you to hurry along. This is how I end up with a faster 2nd half of the run. But what explains the negative quarterly splits? You know what, I can explain that too.

When the race begins, it is all crowded & people jostle to get going. That’s the time when I walk & let others get ahead. I take this as a warm-up routine for I am no fan of pre-run warm-up & stretching (nor of post-run cool-down & stretching). Thus, the 1st quarter of a run is always the slowest. As the table above shows, the 1st split pace at GRM was practically walking speed. (The 1st split at GRM was unusually slower as I stayed with Rakesh who was having shin splints, which got better only during the 2nd split & after generous spraying on the affected part.) Having warmed up, the 2nd split turns out to be faster.

Having explained the 1st half, I will get down to the return leg. As I explained, the return leg is faster on account of far fewer halts. But why is last 5K the fastest? You know what, as the last 3rd approaches the sun is truly up & it starts getting hot. Escaping the heat quickly is one of the reasons for the quicker (actually, less slower) finish. Moreover, having had enough of water, enerzal, bananas & oranges (stay away from Parle-G biscuits, is my advice), the promise of a post-run breakfast (a veteran always knows!) generates extra energy to power ahead. Also, my run till this point has been a leisurely one with more than sufficient rest. Thus, when the other finishers are huffing & puffing along, I run past them with effortless strides (having no Garmin, I don’t have the data on cadence). Thus, I get a perfect negative splits each time I finish a HM.

But, not this time. Coming off the bridge after the 16K checkpoint, I went back to the musicians positioned there. Harjeet, doing his 10K called me out & I joined him. Coach Reni was waiting for us & I thought of finishing along with them at their (rather, Harjeet’s) pace. We also met RK Menon striding along on the other side & Harjeet may have felt elated on seeing a fellow debutant so far behind! But I soon recalled there was beer waiting on the other side of the finish line. This was one of the biggest decisions I had to make in my life, but chilled beer (being a post-run pick-me-up like nothing else) did the trick.

 

So, this is how I manage negative splits. The accomplished runners would have other strategies & I suggest you go to them for advice. This post is of help only if you are out to have some fun.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome bhai.. main tera ... Main tera fan ho gaya ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one !! Think positive Run Negative :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! This would have been a far better title, if only I could think of it!!

      Delete