Sep 16, 2017

Why I love running

Well, running started as another activity to keep fit & healthy. And with increasing length of the runs, I began looking at crossing the next limit of endurance. But this was not all…

Initially, I had to slink out of bed, move around quietly (in the dark) while getting ready & sneaked out of the house quickly. Lest the wife’s sleep (even the daughter’s, but she sleeps more soundly) was disturbed. You surely know how it is. One would prefer distracting a tigress when she is just sitting down for the meal. Yes, running is a tough task. And as dangerous as a daru party in Gujarat.

But getting back drenched in sweat makes one ready to face the storm that awaits once we get back to the den. The sympathy factor helped too, for a true warrior never attacks a tired, drained out foe. Also, by the time I returned the kid would be getting to leave for school & I could avoid any backlash for the offences of the morning. There’s more to this – bragging rights each time I returned from an event with a medal. Even though it was only the finisher’s medal, it made them look up in awe at the achievement.

But the bad times (like the good ones) never last. Wife had a friend who wished to start walking for fitness (you can guess what type)s reasons. So, the two of them began going for post-dinner walks. But there was no improvement. On studying their routine, it was discovered that the culprit was the pani-puri wala who kept his stall open till late! Not that I was minded this, for I was now able to watch Govinda movies & football matches on the TV. But they did. And came to me for help (I never knew I was considered a fitness guru!). Which was when we zeroed down to the culprit after some RCA. I offered them 2 suggestions – switch to morning walks & take up running. They ignored both, for the ladies have the same affinity to pani-puri wala as bhakts have for a chai-wala.

Coming back to the point, we went to Kochi (Nov. 2015), where the wife ran the 5K (more about it here: A Spicy Run Along A Spicy Coast). And liked the festive atmosphere that defines a running event. Coming back, she shared her experience with her friend. They tried a 5K at Daman Wind Marathon next year (Dec. 2016) & decided they could run longer distances. I gave them a gradual progression programme so that they could do a HM at VIM 2017. Which marked a turning point in my running life.

While she still was a Ms. Know-it-all, but I was the expert on running. I was the one who would help her get through her 1st HM. If I missed an alarm (after a late night out), she would wake me up. I was now boldly getting out of the house at wee hours for a run. And returned to a cup of tea prepared by the wife while she got ready for her run. And no lectures too!! Each time things appeared tricky, I just had to bring up her running & my mistakes would be history. I was no longer a Rahul Dravid at home, but a Virendra Sehwag.

But not for long. Having run two HM’s in successive months (VIM & SoleFest), she considered herself a veteran. At least, this was the equation in the household. While not a Sachin to my Viru, but definitely a Yuvi in relation to MSD. And then as another running season approaches, a tussle began for the prime running slot. Who leaves earlier & who gets to stay behind while the kid is still sleeping?

I realized that the post-demonetization world was transformed in more ways than one. Not one to give up easily (well, I am a runner), I tried all sorts of arguments but all were doomed. With threats of no tiffin for the office (met with a helicopter shot of packed lunches) & the kid going hungry to school (an unplayable Malinga yorker), she now decides the running schedules.


Hey, don’t feel sorry. Actually, I now get to sleep longer. And that’s something I like as much as running or a daru party. Now you know why I love running!!

No comments:

Post a Comment